November Activities Around the Seacoast: Making the Most of Fall
Late fall is a wonderful time of year to live on the Seacoast. By now, most of the tourists and visitors are gone, the crowds have dwindled, and the area belongs purely to its residents. But there are still lots to see and do for those of us who call this area home. Although the leaf-peepers and sunbathers are gone, there are plenty of autumn colors left on the trees and beaches to enjoy on the lingering warm days.
It’s the calm before the storm (the holidays are coming!), so let’s embrace it and take full advantage of this small stretch of time by treating ourselves to some fun events happening in area over the next month. What better way to relax than to engage in something fun and entertaining such as plays, performances, live music, art exhibits, and more?
We scoured the internet to make a collection of events and venues for you to check out, so you don’t have to! And if you’re looking to squeeze in some fall-specific activities, be sure to head to our blog all about fun family fall activities.
Feel the music.
Looking to dance and get lost in performances? Discover live music and other events at the following venues that have events scheduled all throughout November. No matter your taste or mood, there’s something to be found for everyone at these locations.
- The Stone Church in Newmarket features craft beer and live music.
- The Press Room in Portsmouth is a pub and restaurant featuring live music.
- The Music Hall in Portsmouth is a vibrant music venue featuring shows Thursday through Sunday.
- Jimmy’s Jazz Blues Club in Portsmouth features… you guessed it… Jazz & Blues in an incredible new space.
- 3S Artspace in Portsmouth is a performance space featuring live music, theater, films, and festivals.
- Seacoast Rep in Portsmouth is a theater producing Broadway quality shows and is featuring various plays during November and December.
Looking for fun and educational activities to do this month?
- Ocean Discovery Challenge is the first ever virtual marine-focused scavenger hunt hosted by the University of New Hampshire’s School of Marine Science and Ocean Engineering. The event takes place from November 1st to November 15th, and people can participate in as many or as few missions as they want. Missions will either lead participants to specific locations along the Seacoast, or to websites to answer riddles.
Read more here to learn about this free event and how to sign up. Great for both families and individuals.
- Art Around Town. Year-round, the first Friday of every month from 5pm to 8pm, Portsmouth presents the Art ‘Round Town gallery walk. This is the perfect excuse to walk around the charming downtown area, get food and drinks or hot cocoa, and check out amazing art while you’re at it!
- Head to the New Hampshire (NHAA) for several exhibits happening during the month of November, including an abstract exhibit that will leave the interpretation of the pieces up for to your own imagination!
In the mood to shop ‘til you drop?
Don’t forget to head over to the Kittery Outlets to help you get ready for the holidays! The outlets will have you covered with everything you need this time of year from decorations to gifts. Be sure to visit the Kittery Trading Post, which has great pricing on outdoor clothing gear to get ready for the winter.
There are also plenty of shopping to do in downtown Portsmouth. It is a great way to support small businesses and check off your holiday gift list; you’ll find jewelry, art, clothing, accessories, books, gifts, and more.
Whether you consider yourself an artist or not, many people like to get a little crafty now and then.
Surely, you’ve heard of Paint Nite by now, but have you heard of DIY Wood Sign workshops? Well, that’s Board and Brush’s specialty. Similar to paint nights, an artist will lead you through the process step-by-step, and you will leave the workshop with a homemade wooden sign that you will be proud to hang inside your home. Sign up in advance for a “Pick Your Project Workshop” typically held on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays.
If you’re looking for the classic paint night, Art With a Splash on State Street in Portsmouth is exactly what you’re looking for.
Feeling generous? November marks the beginning of the season of giving, and what better way to do that than to give back by donating or volunteering for great causes. The following are two (of the many available) charities you can get involved in over the next few weeks.
- Share the Warmth: Drop off new hats, mittens, gloves, and scarves from November 1st through November 17th at the Senior Activity Center in Portsmouth. Items will be handed out at Gather’s Thanksgiving food distribution on November 19th.
- Hope on Haven Hill Art Auction: This is an online art auction happening November 3rd through November 10th, with two preview gallery parties, one at The View at Pepperrell Cove in Kittery on 11/3, and one at Governors Inn in Rochester on 11/5. Money raised from the event will go towards the non-profit, which offers treatment and substance use disorder support for pregnant, postpartum, and parenting women in NH. Read more about the event and organization here.
We hope this list is enough to keep you busy throughout November!
Aztec Financial Group and LPL Financial are not affiliated with any of the named entities.