Most New Year's Resolutions do not continue past February. My goal here is to help you see yours in a different light.
The best way to accomplish your goals is to keep them simple. Saying, "I will lose 20 pounds in a month" is unrealistic and unhealthy, but saying, "I will add one more vegetable into every meal" is attainable. "I will work-out 3 times a week" may not always work out due to life getting in the way, but "I will move for 30 minutes 3 times a week" can happen. This includes stretching, taking the dog for a walk, getting the mail, vacuuming, dancing like nobody's watching, shoveling, etc. Add them up and you've done it. "I will sleep more" is great but, "I will get in bed at 10PM every night" is pattern forming and much more apt to get you the sleep you need. Saying, "I will be asleep at 10PM" may not work but being in bed reading or calming down is feasible.
Moving some will make your body want to move more. Eating well bit by bit will train your body to want to eat healthier. Setting a time to start to fall asleep will give you more rest. Slowly your habits will change, and you will start to feel better.
Think of yourself when you are making your goals. You know who you are and what works for you. If you have ever accomplished something that you would like to accomplish again, you know how you achieved it in the past. You also know what does not work for you.
Make resolutions that will help you grow.
Here are mine:
- I will see/experience something new with my daughter each month.
- I will write in a gratitude journal after I have a good experience.
- Every month I will contact someone who brought joy to my life.
- I will listen to 5 of my favorite songs each week.
- I will do something that makes me smile each day.
- If something worries me, I will stop and breathe until I can think clearly.
- For a few minutes every day, I will close my eyes and imagine myself at a place that made me feel totally calm.
- I will give myself a break - Everyone makes mistakes.
The most important advice I can give you is to keep going. Do not beat yourself up if you don't accomplish exactly what you set out to. Give yourself rewards and praise for the things you DO accomplish.
Think about today. Be here now. Have a wonderful New Year!